1. To study and draft guidelines and policies related to Taiwan affairs; to implement and carry outguidelines and policies related to Taiwan stipulated bythe CPC Central Committee and the State Council.
2. To organize, guide, administrate and coordinate the work related to Taiwan affairs of departments under the State Council and of the provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities directly under the Central Government; To check and investigate the implemention of the guidelines and policies of the CPC Central Committee and the State Council by central and local departments.
3. To analyse the situations in Taiwan and tendency of development of the cross-Strait relations;to coordinate with the department concerned to draft the laws and regulations involving Taiwan ;to coordinate with overall planning the legal affairs related to Taiwan.
4. According to the arrangement and authorization of the State Council, the Office takes chargeof relevant preparations for negotiations and agreements with Taiwan authorities and its authorized public organizations.
5. To administrate and coordinate direct links in mail, transport and trade across the Taiwan Straits; to take charge of the media and publicity work related to Taiwan and release news and information concerning Taiwan affairs; to handle major incidents related to Taiwan.
6. To coordinate and guide with overall planning the economic and trade related to Taiwan and exchanges and cooperation in such areas as finance, culture, academic research, sports, science and technology, health, etc with the departments concerned; To manage personnel exchange,observations and symposiums between the two sides and relevant work on international conference involving Taiwan.
7. To accomplish other tasks that the State Council assigns.